Feb

Visitor POLL – please let us know who you are.

By

Opinion Polls & Market Research

Categories : Pre-PA HS, Pre-PA Univ

Comments

1. Wesley says:

I am a senior at the University of Alabama. I am majoring in psychology and getting a minor in biology. I started out in nursing as my major and took all the prereqs for a nursing major. The thing is I am really interested in becoming a PA. When I was a nursing major I took the 2 chemistry’s for nursing, which are different from a premed major. The nursing chemistrys were Intro to organic and intro to inorganic. I was wondering if PA programs would let the chemistrys I have taken satisfy their requirements? Also my GPA right now is a 3.0, and I was wondering how many more points would I need to bring my GPA up to be competitive?

2. admin says:

Wesley, If you look at the article on the average student accepted to Duke’s PA program you will see that avg GPA is 3.1-3.5. Natural science gpa is higher. The GRE and other prereq’s are there also.

You would have to check with the school you want to apply to. Usually your chemistries will be OK, but that is a guess. Be sure you have the right STATS class and a class in microbiology.

The top 10 schools are picky and very competitive. The next tier is not so picky but it is still tough.
    The USNews top 10 PA schools in 2008 were
    Iowa
    Duke
    Emory
    GW in DC
    Uof T SWMED Dallas
    Uof Utah
    Uof Washington
    Uof Colorado in Denver
    Baylor
    Oregon
    The Military Interservice school
    SUNY-Stoney Brook
    Uof T Gavelston

Check their online sites for more information.

3. Wesley says:

Is shadowing considered experience?

Thanks for your help,
    Wesley

4. admin says:

“The following types of experience are NOT accepted toward the 1,000 hours of patient care experience: PA or physician observer or shadow, non-clinical research assistant positions, student clinical experience (student nurse, student EMT, student athletic trainer, or other health care student), student “intern” experiences, candy striper or junior volunteer positions, CPR or ACLS instructor, wilderness medicine instructor, patient transporter, pharmaceutical representative, ski patroller, life guard, aerobics instructor, unit clerk, insurance clerk, medical secretary or other clerical positions.”

This is a direct quote from the Duke PA program. It is representative of the top 10 schools.

5. Courtney says:

what activitites would qualify for the 1,000 hours of patient care?

6. admin says:

Courtney,
    Usually activities that put you in direct contact with the patient and allow you to participate in the patient’s care. This would be duties like being a CNA, CMA, EMT, Military Medic/Corpsman, RN, LPN, and so on. If you have no experience, one of the first three will be more than adequate. Training is short, usually 3-6 months and EMT will usually get you into emergency rooms, and into the field where things are happening. Some schools want you to have a recommendation from a PA who has seen you work so look at the particular requirements of the schools that interest you most.